By Maxim Goldarb,
Chairman of the party
“Union of Left Forces – For New Socialism”
Ukrainian President Zelensky constantly states that Ukraine is defending European freedom and Europe.
Well, let us understand what exactly European values Zelensky “defends” in Ukraine and in Europe?
The essence of European values is enshrined by the Council of Europe in the European Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms and Article 2 of the Treaty on European Union. These (basic) are: “respect for human dignity, freedom, democracy, equality, the rule of law and respect for human rights, including the rights of persons belonging to minorities. These values are common to the set of Member States, characterized by pluralism, non-discrimination, tolerance, justice, solidarity and equality between women and men”.
The EU Charter of Human Rights sets out these values as follows: the principle of respect for human dignity, the principle of ensuring human and civil rights and freedoms, the principle of equality, the principle of solidarity, the principle of democracy and the principle of the rule of law.
What is built today in our country, what order, on the basis of what values is modern Ukraine organized?
Let’s go in order:
- Freedom of speech has been destroyed in Ukraine. Opposition media are banned and closed, opposition journalists are either on the run or in prison, any dissent has become a thought crime (even likes on social networks) and is punishable by prison.
- the opposition is outlawed: parties are banned, politicians have either been forced to leave the country or are in prison on charges of crimes against the state.
- There is no rule of law; the judicial branch of government, prosecutors, police, and special services are fully controlled by the president and are engaged in political persecution of opponents and politically motivated, far-fetched verdicts against dissenters. More than 1.5 thousand such criminal cases have been filed in Ukraine over the last year and a half.
- The parliament is fully controlled by the president and his administration, plays no real role in the country, stamping those laws and decisions that are favorable or necessary for the president. The administration of the country, including appointments of officials, preparation of laws, and foreign relations, is fully managed by the office of the president.
- Large-scale violation of the rights of national minorities – Russians, Hungarians, Romanians, Poles, which is confirmed by the Venice Commission and the governments of a number of European partner countries of Ukraine.
- Freedom of religion has been destroyed – Ukraine’s largest church denomination, the Ukrainian Orthodox Church, is being persecuted, its monasteries and property have been seized, and the process of legislative banning of this church has been initiated.
- The rights of people to free movement and residence, employment are trampled: Ukrainian men are illegally detained on the streets and in public places to be sent to the front. Most Ukrainians are unconstitutionally prohibited from leaving the country. A law passed in May 2022 authorized law enforcement officers to detain citizens during the war for nine days without court authorization – instead of three days as previously.
- Tolerance, multiculturalism and multinationalism have been replaced by the crude primacy of cave nationalism.
- There is no social justice: two thirds of the population are beggars, 90% of pensioners live below the poverty line; pensions and salaries of ordinary people are ten times less than pensions and salaries of officials.
- All major sectors of the economy both belonged and still belong to the oligarchy, whose representatives feel good about themselves, “mastering” budget money and money of foreign partners in wartime. Fertile land directly or indirectly belongs to foreign corporations, Ukrainian small and medium-sized farming is practically strangled.
11 Corruption is flourishing, and its main hotbed is the office of the president. And this is confirmed by numerous statements of both American and European politicians.
So what European values did and does Zelensky defend? Ukraine under his rule has turned out to be the opposite, anti-European.
We remind our readers that publication of articles on our site does not mean that we agree with what is written. Our policy is to publish anything which we consider of interest, so as to assist our readers in forming their opinions. Sometimes we even publish articles with which we totally disagree, since we believe it is important for our readers to be informed on as wide a spectrum of views as possible.